Sender:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:22:34 -0500
7bit
From:
Tina Branco <[log in to unmask]>
To: Rachel Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Here in all-volunteer South Thomaston we also eliminated fines about 3 years
ago. Before that we charged .05/day (but only for days that we were open -3
days/week)  The amount of time spent calculating and collecting nickels and
dimes was deemed very counter-productive and the all volunteer staff often
just said - oh, forget it leaving me to clean up the mess in the automated
circ system.

We put out a "guilt jar" (one of our patrons wanted to know when the Quilt
was going to be finished and were we going to display it?) and now use that
to collect not only overdue money but also "contributions" to pay for
printing and copying.  The town does not want to have to go through the
accounting nightmare so they graciously let us keep the money for
incidentals.  Last year the monies collected paid for our ILL postage (we're
not on the van service.)

It's been a positive experience for both staff and patrons, and I can point
out we have the same experience of most people paying way more than we'd
ever charge in fines/printing.

Tina Branco,

Director, South Thomaston Public Library

P.O. Box 3

So Thomaston ME 04858

blogging as Tutu at Tutu <http://tutus2cents.blogspot.com/> 's Two Cents

Currently reading "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" by Ben Fountain

On the Nook: "Out of Nowhere" by Maria Padian

currently listening to "The Janus stone" by Elly Griffiths