Sender:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:31:19 -0500
8bit
From:
Pamela Turner <[log in to unmask]>
To: Rachel Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Quite frankly - one of the best things we ever did in terms of
customer service was to eliminate fines when we joined Minerva about
10 years ago.

I don't remember the fine rate at the time nor the amount we raised
through fines.  I do remember they took a good deal of staff time to
administer and it was not a friendly approach to customer service.

I do know that we bring in a decent amount of money through our
conscience jar.  Some patrons feel more guilty than others.

For example - just last week, a patron had 3 books that were each 3
days overdue.  With fines, it may have cost him a dollar or so.  He
put $5 in the conscience jar.  Something like this happens more often
than you might expect.

We take the stand that fines aren't friendly (being friendly
encourages support for the library) and don't deter people from
keeping books longer than allowed.

We do stop a person's card if they have items overdue more than time
allowed by our Minerva settings.  We find this is often a good
deterent -- especially when the patron cannot reserve or download
books because his/her card has been stopped.

We also have an ordinance in which we can ask the police to intervene
if items are long overdue.  We use this when/if the patron has
interlibrary loan items long overdue or if the items were acquired via
ILL.  I try to call the patron before going to the police.  That
usually works.

Pam Turner
Baxter Memorial Library

--