Sender:
From:
Rachel Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:59:41 -0500
I am posting this on behalf our library director, Jay Scherma. Feel free to
respond either to me, to the list, or directly to him:
[log in to unmask]  Thanks!

Our Board of Trustees is considering a change of policy to eliminate the
use of overdue fines here at TML.  We are a municipal department of the
Town of Cape Elizabeth (pop. 9,025,).  We are interested in the experience
of any other public libraries that have eliminated the use of overdue fines
to help us in our decision making process.

1) When did you eliminate fines?

2) What was your fine rate before you eliminated fines?

3) How much money did you raise in fines each year?

4) If known, how much money (in staff time & postage) did it take to manage
fines in your library?

5) What were the positive outcomes from eliminating fines?

6) What were the drawbacks to eliminating them?

7) Did you use any strategies to replace the lost income?

8) Where these successful?

9) Other thoughts, comments, etc. that might help us in making our decision?

Thanks for your assistance,

Jay Scherma, Director
Thomas Memorial Library

Rachel Q. Davis