Sender:
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2022 09:08:33 -0400
From:
Debra Orado <[log in to unmask]>
Greetings Maine Librarians,
Maybe you have some budding photographers in your midst?  Even though the
deadline is fast approaching this might be a great way to encourage
students who are photographers and those that are not. Entry is easy and a
great way for 7th and 8th graders to display their work.
The Riis Museum in Denmark has launched this program and the deadline is
very SOON!
For youth age (13-18), no entry fee and deadline November 1st!  It’s a
great classroom exercise too for aspiring photographers  and teachers
looking for creative service learning ways for youth to express themselves
and learn.
—————-

*Deadline is fast approaching- November 1st!*

*Jacob A. Riis Photography Award*

The inaugural 2022 *Jacob A. Riis Photography Award* recognizes,
celebrates, and empowers young photographers ages 13-18 whose talent,
creativity and community-building spirit are *making the world a better
place* with their cameras.  The program encourages young photographers to
grow their technical talent *and* demonstrate how their photos shed light
on any number of subjects including but not limited to:

> Marine conservation, affordable housing, pet therapy, endangered species,
> parks and green spaces, safety in aging, aging/innovative infrastructure,
> climate change, beauty of wildlife, living with disabilities, fighting
> poverty, light pollution, immigration, zoology, clean water, community
> gardens, safe places like libraries, healing powers of music, access/equity
> in sports
>
> Applicants can submit up to five single images (each with an accompanying
> written description no more than 250 words) sharing how and why their
> photo(s) can inspire, educate, heal and/or encourage others to action.

Does the photo encourage the viewer to: want to know more about the
> subject, be kind, share what they learned from the photo? For example, a
> photo might give the viewer a new perspective on the subject/scene because
> of the composition and how the content of the photo communicates emotion.
> The subject might be a volunteer building a community garden, an animal in
> its habitat, a Special Olympian supporting a teammate, a farm addressing
> climate change, healthy/unhealthy marine life, an educator teaching a child
> to read….
>
> Applicants are asked to submit photos that show the beauty, drama,
> challenges, spirit, intensity, and diversity of our world.
>
> Open to all American and Danish youth - no entry fee. *Deadline*:
> *November 1st *
>

> More details below
>

> https://jacobariismuseum.dk/en/the-jacob-a-riis-photography-award/jacob-a-riis-photography-award/
>

> https://jacobariismuseum.dk/en/the-jacob-a-riis-photography-award/