Sender:
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2022 23:45:08 +0000
From:
Lizz Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
The Library of Congress invites you to bring Jason Reynolds and other great authors to your library by hosting a National Book Festival watch party on Saturday, Sept. 3rd ! [To see the full list of authors and the final NBF schedule, visit : loc.gov/nbf<http://www.loc.gov/nbf> ]

How do you host a watch party?

  *   Our colleagues at Colorado Humanities created a step by step video to walk you through this process- it is easier than you may think! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IdIE5Tmua00GdW03Wxp73TbXgUBS8R12/view

  *   Colleagues at MA Center for the Book shared how they planned a watch party last year: “Last year we hosted a commonwealth watch party in conjunction with the Isabel Wilkerson video from NBF.  To localize it, we invited two well-known Massachusetts voices to be commentators and to lead discussion.  It worked very well and I think gave depth to the video recording.  We used Zoom (boosted to 1,000 seats, of which more than 900 were reserved), played the video through Zoom (there are instructions in Zoom about how to do this), and then had comments and Q&A.

We asked everyone in audience to keep their cameras off and sound muted while the video and comments were offered.  Then we invited those who wanted to ask a question to turn on camera and mic as they raised hand to speak.  We invited everyone to turn on their cameras at the end so they could see the "room."   The quality was fine, so fine in fact that I would invite everyone to turn on their cameras for Q&A if/when we do it again. “

If you do host a watch party, tag MHC and the LOC [#NatBookFest]! We’d love to know about it!

Lizz Sinclair (she/her)
Program Coordinator
Grants & Partnerships
Maine Humanities Council<https://mainehumanities.org/>
674 Brighton Ave. | Portland, ME | (207) 773-5051
- Home of the Harriet P. Henry Center for the Book –