Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:28:29 +0000
Sender:
From:
Sonya Durney <[log in to unmask]>
Greetings,

I am writing to make sure Maine libraries are aware of the new Copyright Claims Board (CCB).

The Copyright Claims Board opened for business Thursday, June 16.  This is the mechanism established by the CASE Act<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CASE_Act> to field copyright infringement claims without having to go to federal court.  While libraries and archives may opt-out of the process (opt-outs include library/archive employees’ activities during the course of their work), anyone who is found guilty through the CCB tribunal could face fines up to $30,000 per infringement.

Libraries can sign an opt-out form (linked below). In consultation with our university lawyer, UNE did so. I recommend checking with your library's legal representative to see if this is the right move for your library.

Further reading:

CASE provisions are now law<https://www.copyright.com/blog/case-act-provisions-now-law/>
ACRL's Case Act Toolkit<https://www.arl.org/case-act-toolkit/> is worth a read.
This Form Can Protect Libraries and Library Employees from Copyright Claims <https://www.phelps.com/insights/this-form-can-protect-libraries-and-library-employees-from-copyright-claims.html>
Copyright Claims Board opt-out form<https://www.ccb.gov/libraries-archives-opt-out/images/opt-out-form.pdf>

~Sonya

Sonya Durney, PhD Candidate, MLIS

https://une.zoom.us/my/sdurney

Scholarly Communication, Research & Teaching Librarian || University of New England Library Services

Vice President || Maine Library Association

11 Hills Beach Road || Biddeford, ME 04005

Pronouns: she, her

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you suspect that you were not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender as soon as possible.