From:
Ronald Correia USA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1993 20:52:55 -0500
Chuck Henderson ([log in to unmask]) says:

>> But I find it particularly amusing in regard to Providence College.  Based
>> on 35 years of watching eastern college hockey, there has been _no_ team as
>> persistent or adept at holding, clutching and grabbing as the PC teams of
>> the late 70s.  This is not to say they weren't good teams, just that
>> clutching and grabbing suited their style when playing fast teams like
>> Cornell.  Over the years, Princeton (and occasionally Brown might have
>> aspired toward this style but never were able to employ it with the
>> ability of PC.)

Lou Lamoriello may have disagreed with that assessment, however as a long-time
PC fan, I'm afraid I must agree.  The style of player recruited by Providence
in that time period was typically of the big and aggressive type (also, not
a speedster as Chuck noted.)  While complaining loudly about the clutch and
grab style of other teams, Providence themselves developed it into an artform.

On a side note, the PC-Brown game at the Civic Center today was followed by an
exhibition game between the Boston Bruins alumni and the PC/Brown alumni.
Chuck, as a Cornell fan, would certainly remember a Providence player by the
name of Randy Wilson.  (We now call him Randy "Open Net" Wilson :) )  Yes,
Chuck, this is the very same Randy Wilson that missed the open net on a
breakaway with 30 seconds remaining at Lynah Rink to setup Lance Netherey's
tying goal in the ECAC quarter-finals back in 1978...  Randy redeemed himself
today, though... He scored on Reggie Lemelin.  For those of you that don't
remember the incident, Providence had a 5-1 lead with 13:00 remaining.  Cornell
slowly closed the gap and had it down to 5-4 with a minute left.  They pulled
the goalie (Brian Haywood, if I remember right) for the extra man.  With 30
seconds to go, Randy stole the puck and went in on a breakaway on the open net.
And missed the net!!!  Netherey picked the puck up behind the net, skated the
length of the ice and scored with 13 seconds remaining.  Cornell won 6-5 in OT.
Needless to say, it was the longest 6 hour bus trip home of my life!

-- Ron Correia
   "Let's go Friars!"