From:
Craig Cheslog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Cheslog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1993 17:33:14 +119304128

Bill Fenwick writes:

> I'll have to dig out a rule book for the specific wording, but the rule is
> that the penalty of the player who FIRST put the scoring team on the power
> play is the one that gets wiped out.  In the above situation, Player 1 from
> Team B put the teams at even strength, 4-on-4.  Player 2 gave Team A a power
> play, 4-on-3, which Team A scored on.  Since Player 2 caused the power play
> situation, Player 2 gets out of the box.  I recall this situation also
> being discussed in the Interpretations section of the rule book as well.
>
> If you remove Team A's penalty from above (that is, Team A is on a 5-on-3
> rather than a 4-on-3) and Team A scores, player 1 from Team B would return,
> because in that situation, player 1 gave Team A the power play first --
> player 2 only made it worse.
>
> Now, why they follow this rule, rather than just universally ending the pen-
> alty of whoever has the least time remaining, I don't know.

Bill is correct. According to Rule 4-2-b, "If the opposing team scores a
goal while a team is "short-handed" by one or more minor or bench minor
penalties, the short-handed team shall be permitted to replace immediately
on the ice the FIRST PLAYER WHOSE MINOR OR BENCH MINOR PENALTY CAUSED THE
TEAM TO BE SHORT-HANDED." This rule can be found on pages 29-30 of the
1993-94 NC$$ rulebook.

(And, kudos to Bill for getting this right -- last Saturday I was the
timekeeper for a scrimmage between Bowdoin and Mt. Allison, and the
officials had a problem with this situation -- it's early, right?)

Craig Cheslog
Bowdoin College
Sports Information Director