From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1992 00:37:39 EDT
Just to prove I can still talk hockey...

Someone was asking a while back about OSU's goalie situation with Bales gone to
the Bruins farm system (probably never to be heard from again.)  Jim Slazyk,
the perpetual back-up, was a junior last year, and I assume he will return.
(Where else would he go?)  The numbers on him through the LSSU series (I can't
remember if he got in the quarterfianls against UM or not) were 6 games played,
205 minutes, 24 GA, 7.06 GAA 102 SVS, .810 pct., and a record of 1-1-0.  A
freshman by the name of Brent Convery got in one game and played 35 minutes
allowing 3 goals on 12 saves for a 5.18 GAA and .800 pct.  He was 0-0-0.

I did not see Convery play, but I have seen Slazyk, and there is a reason he
was always the backup.  Very few skills.  I am not sure he could start for many
Div. III programs.  I did not see Convery play, so I know nothing about him.
Welsh will have to recruit another goalie if he wants to be at all competitive
next year.  The offense is the only thing that kept OSU in games last season--3
of the top five scorers graduated.  The defense was very young though, so maybe
the pelting they took this year will give them motivation next season.

Does anyone have any info on Cornell's recruiting?

Finally, before I nod off to sleep and dream of hematology (my dreams were so
much more interesting before medical school), I want to wrap up my little game
I have been playing with our "other" hockey-l first couple.

Lisa Sweeny and Bill Sangrey ("william" on your hockey-l dial) have been going
together for a while now.  You'd have to talk to them to get the timing down,
because as I said, we don't really know what happened when they took that trip
home from Boston together after ECAC's at the Garden.  Hmmmm.  Think his
influence could ever make her root for Cornell in a Minnesota- Cornell NC$$
final?

While I'm at it, wish Mr. Sangrey a happy birthday today.  I think this one is
number 26 Mr. Bill?

Good nite all....

(PS.  To Hockeynut-Lynn:  The Alma Mater starts "Far above Cayuga's
waters,"  not "High above..."  After singing it through every toll booth on the
Mass Pike when travelling with the band, I have come to know it quite well. :-)
:-)

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95