From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:51:18 -0400
On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Hampton, Nathan E. <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Here is what you will get early in the two referee system. A young (weak)
> referee will be paired with an veteran (strong) referee so that the former
> (most likely an ex-linesman) can learn the ropes. This means the young one
> will not challenge the veteran one and will not make any calls. Since one
> ref is in front of the play and the other behind, you get very inconsistent
> calls (either alot or none at all, but all by the veteran ref). Then the
> more brazen of the young ones will start to assert themselves and by the end
> of the season some balance is achieved, but the young ones will make a ton
> of mistakes along the way. It is not initially a two referee system, but a
> one ref and one intern system.

If they do it that way, it would be a mistake. That was how the NHL started
with it, and they found that it didn't work because the younger refs were
too likely to defer to senior ones, and not call their game. I believe they
moved away from that system quite quickly, for that reason.

John

--
John Edwards
I used to put quotes here.