From:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1992 08:32:27 EST
John and Dave have both brought differing views on the OSU-UM series this past
weekend, especially involving the 'cheap' shot(s) that were taken. To add, yet
, another perspective, I'll comment alittle on what has become tradition in the
CCHA playoffs, especially in the first round. This may help explanin(not
excuse) some of the activities that took place at Yost.

In best of three series of the first round, over the years CCHA fans have come
to see this type of cheap play, usually in the second game of the series, from
the team that is about to be eliminated. Over the years I have seen Miami, OSU,
and Ferris State exhibit this type of cheap shot play when the score in the
second game gets out of reach. The players on the soon-to-be-sitting-home team
take cheap shots and usually start fights. They seem to take the attitute that
it's their last game, so why not take out season long frustrations on opposing
players(I'm sure that some of the frustration comes from taunting by players
about to advance in the playoffs). Anyway, usually you see someone from the
losing team start a fight so that the player from the winning team gets to sit
out the first game at Joe Louis Arena. The CCHA bans a player from playing in
their next game when ejected for fighting. Over the years, Ferris State has
become quite good at this. I'm not implying that they performed this way
against MSU this year or that they are the only ones who do this. But, they
just stand out in my mind.

So, tying this back to the OSU-UM series. It's possible that the number of OSU
penalties and 'cheap' shots in the game were a result of this sad CCHA
'tradition' combined I'm sure with a little UM taunting.

Paul Marchant     |    The other FINAL FOUR!    | (513) 865 - 1637
Mead Data Central |    April 2-4  Albany, NY    | Data Technology
P.O. Box 933      |   The BEST OF THE BEST in   | [log in to unmask]
Dayton, OH  45401 |         NCAA Hockey         | ...!uunet!meaddata!paulm