From:
Matt Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:16:48 -0600
Board votes to keep UND's `Fighting Sioux'  nickname

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BISMARCK, N.D.  The University of North Dakota should keep its
``Fighting Sioux'' nickname, the Board  of Higher Education abruptly
decided Thursday. Its vote took the issue away from UND  President
Charles Kupchella as he was nearing a decision about whether to
abolish the  moniker.

Friday Pioneer Press
http://www.pioneerplanet.com/docs/head10.htm

Grand Forks Herald has better coverage, with both sides.

http://web.northscape.com/content/gfherald/2000/12/22/news/

I don't want this to be a flame war but the nickname is what you want
it to be.  I always thought that it made more sense to honor
something with meaning, like the natives or a former president.  The
Minnesota Gophers make sense because the state has a bundle of them,
the Minnesota Gray Squirrels make even more sense because that is all
you see on campus.

You can read both sides of the arguments in the papers listed.

Matt Evans

--
Matt Evans