From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1992 01:02:20 EST
Best story, in my mind, is that Bob Johnson's widow came to the locker room
prior to the Finland game today and gave each of the USA players a cap on
which was embroidered "It's a great day for hockey".  Tim Sweeney, Clark
Donatelli and Keith Tkachuk all wore them in various interviews after the
game on TNT and CBS.

BTW, the "BOB" which was on the shoulder of the USA uniforms during the
pre-Olympic games isn't there now.  Something about regulations prohibiting
insignias like that.  But it isn't really necessary to those who know the
effect the Badger still has on this team.

The local paper, which publishes in North Andover - home of Steve Heinze - has
been running columns written by Heinze every other day during the Games.  The
most recent was Wednesday and it concluded with the following:

"Three of us are crammed into one room.  I'm sleeping on a pullout bed.  But
 we're here to play hockey.  Hockey is first and foremost on our minds.

 We can't wait for Finland."

I heard someone today claim that this was the biggest "USA win since 1980".
In the Olympics, no doubt.  But wins in the World Championships and in the
Juniors were bigger.  Not to understate the win, but there is still a ways
to go.  If anything, maybe it will start to get the casual fans interested
in the games again.

I really enjoyed the fact that last night, I heard Boston Herald writer Gerry
Callahan (and several others) put down the team and say that Finland was
going to bring them down to earth, that they didn't think the team was headed
anywhere.

I've heard many people make comparisons between this team and past USA teams.
No, this team isn't as talented as 1988.  But it is playing more like a
team and getting more contributions in all aspects of the game, and that's
what you need to win.  I'm not predicting a gold or even a medal, but anything
is possible because this team has something the last two didn't have, something
Lane MacDonald pointed out today: confidence in themselves and confidence
that they can win.  Each game has seen a different player or group of players
step up and do what it took to win: Sweeney, Heinze, Donato, LeBlanc, Hill,
Mantha, both Youngs, etc.  That is characteristic of winning teams.

TNT says they will be showing Canada's first test against Czechoslovakia
Friday afternoon.

Finally, TNT talked about how if the USA could knock off Sweden and finish
first, they would get the top seed and likely face France in the quarterfinal.
That may not be so much of an advantage because French athletes have performed
well which is typical of the host country.  I'm concerned about France pulling
an upset - they've been in or won every game they've played, including Canada.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com