From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 20:04:13 EST
In a message dated 1/15/00 6:21:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< so you would have the athletic department not answer any section of the
 university? that's called pro sports. even nhl teams in some degree are held
 accountable by the nhl board of governors.

 to whom then should is the athletic department  responsible?
 mybe those who organize homecoming. sure. good idea.

 that assertion is ridiculous. this is analagous to letting crack addicts
 regulate controlled substances.

Fortunately the author of the reply to my post (which was satirical) is from
the University of Minnesota a school which has never has any problem with
institutional control of the athletic department. In the UVM press release -
the coach who must be the equivalent of a virgin- blames the players and not
a system that invites this type of stupidity on the part of the players.
With all due respect- if the guys couldn't put the puck in the net- how many
would be at the school? who is zooming who? they the players shoud not have
embarrassed UVM- but our colleges have all gotten down and dirty in the whole
process and in fact the athletes are paid gladiators. As the president of the
University of Oklahoma said "someday we will have a university the football
can be proud of"