From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:59:36 EDT
college athletics at the D1 level are intertwined with $

a successful woman's program say the UConn basketball team needs no
litigation- if woman want equality they should compete equally- ie not have
special standards as they do in the military- ah- there is an inherent
difference?

the fact is that there will always be a higher percentage of males playing in
and interested in sports- women should have every opportunity to play sports
etc and colleges to the extent there is interest should have teams etc

the irony is to make a point- there is a proposal to create D1 hockey at
Rutgers- they have a club team- the AD pointed out to them that if RU goes D1
none of those players (club players) will be on the team- be careful of what
you wish for-

the answer ultimately may be the abolition of scholastic teams and a
reversion to a club system as we have in youth hockey- does it surprise
anyone that there are ten male teams to one female team- and believe as a
rink owner- womens hockey is reat and I like the way the game is played-

we have ten women figure skaters for one male in any year- do we mandate that
we cut back to parity

ultimately be sure of one thing if it came down to just football and womens
teams that would happen before they cut off football- come up with a
constructive and real solution and lets stop ignoring gender and interest
differences