From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 23:09:55 -0400
Oh gimme a break, colleges did not create men's sports at the expense of
women's sports. Back in the early 1900's, sports were a male only domain and
female had little to no interest in getting involved. Now they have somewhat
of an interest, and they have some of the sports. Be glad you live in the
USA and not some 2nd or 3rd world country where women still have zero
opportunity and males still rule completely.

And it is a FACT that there will always be more male athletes than female
athletes until society changes. That is not sexism, that is truth.

And there's a difference between minnesota women's hockey and State U
women's sport. Minnesota is a hockey state. Now if you had said girls sued
and there became an overwhelming increase in girls field hockey players in
minnesota, then you'd have something meaningful.

It's pathetic that since UNO started its hockey team, it's had to add not 1,
not 2, but 3 women's sports for title ix reasons. For every 8,314 fans that
goto a hockey game, maybe 100 or so will attend each of those sports, if that.

And that in and of itself prove more people are interested in male sports
overall. When a women's sport brings in sizeable crowds for a majority of
its teams, we'll talk (I'm not talking Tennessee women's basketball, I'm
talking women's basketball overall compared to men's). Until then Title IX
has outlived its usefullness, it no longer is adding opportunity for women
but cutting it for men.

On the 35,000 to 9,000 budget or whatever, and how many fans attend each
game? I would bet close to 4 to 1 if they're anything like high school
sports around here. Our girls basketball team has been state champs and
state runner up the past 2 years, and the men's team still outdraws it sizeably.

<20 years and still how much inequity exists>

Well gee, life ain't fair. I read a short story for english class about a
supposed utopia society where everyone was equal. Turns out everyone was
equal - they all had handicaps to make them dumb, clumsy, and no one was
improving anything. This is what Title IX will eventually do, instead of
making everyone better, it'll drag everyone into the gutter.
===============================
      Ben Flickinger
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
(Stanley Cup Champion) Detroit Red Wings Fan for Life
Proud resident of Bugaha(Omaha)-Home of the 1st Jim Rome World Tour Stop.
To all the CCHA teams, UNO welcomes you to the Bullpen. Now get ready to lose.
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies all the way in 1999.
QOTW: "And that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold said so." ("Stone Cold"
Steve Austin, WWF)