From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 06:00:40 -0700
--- greenie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A request to those of you that feel the need to leave the list:
>

> Just leave quietly. Most people don't care to hear a
> holier-than-thy-list
> speech.

I care.  I'm sure others do as well.

It is the fact that people DON'T care that has contributed to the slow
decline of HOCKEY-L.  Five years ago when I joined it was much
different, but of course if you weren't here five years ago.. you don't
care how it was back then.  Why do people talk about "the past" so much
on this list anyway?  Newbies are always saying to ignore the past, but
when everyone is always talking about it it should tell you something.

John, and Scott are only two people in a trend that sees people with a
lot to offer choose to spend their time elsewhere, or in other mediums
such as USCHO or the other messageboards around the area.  Granted, the
Internet has changed and the role of HOCKEY-L is different.  However,
it is still driving people away.

The "hollier than thou" attitude here, isn't by those people who are
leaving the list, but rather by people who don't care about the quality
or the people on it.

Why do you suppose people like John and Scott post messages to the list
when they leave?  Why not just leave, as Greenie suggests?  The answer
is:  Because they care.  If they didn't, they'd just quitely leave and
no one would notice.

HOCKEY-L is not destined to die, it needs to grow, and adapt like
anything.  But a mailing list like this is only as good as the people
on it and WE SHOULD ALL CARE anytime someone feels the need to leave
the list because of the list itself.

===
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
University of Maine '98
Home of the 1993 and 1999 Ice Hockey National Champions!
ONE-TWO.. WE WANT MORE!