Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1992 15:57:40 EST
First, if this topic even deserves any discussion, it would be better done
during the off-season, but if I wait until then I will forget about it,
which may even happen before anyone is able to respond.

Second, (this is more important than  "first" actually), PLEASE, anyone
who has been posting this statistic, do not take any offense - it is not
directed at any person.

Third, I have a similar problem in baseball.

Fourth - now the subject matter - "Winning Goal", (winning run in baseball).
  This statistic does not make any sense to me at all.  The person scoring
the winning goal cannot be determined until after the game is over, s
possibly be under any more pressure to produce it than for any other goad
(well, goal, then) anyone might score.  Worst of all perhaps, if the fourth
goal was the "winning goal" it couldn't have been scored before the third
goal (which if it had not been scored the fourth one couln't either or
else it would have been called the third and would not have been the
winning goal after all).  [That sentence is no more convoluted than
the reasoning (well, hardly reasoning) behind the "winning goal" itself.]

Fifth, I will be happy to have anyone put forth some solid reason for
taking about a "winning goal".

. . .
As an aside, I'm not enthused about a "winning pitcher" in baseball either,
but it seems to me to be of a bit higher class.  This would also apply to
winning goalie, when more than one goalie plays in the game.  Maybe someone
will feel like reopening this subject when withdrawal symptoms hit about
the first of May.