From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 17:19:09 -0400
I understand and respect that point of view, and until not that long ago, I
felt that way myself.  But I don't think that way completely any more.
There are other aspects of inconsistency that  bother me more.

I think that the ref's job IS different early in the game and than late in
the game.   Early in the game, the ref has to make sure that there doesn't
start to be a buildup of minor complaints that build up and cause escalating
retaliation, and eventually lead to more serious stickwork and/or fighting.
So I don't have as much a problem with a ref calling the game looser in the
third period than the first, IF the game does not show signs of getting out
control.

I DO strongly agree, however, that if an act is truly dangerous, or if it
prevents a scoring opportunity, then it should be called whenever it is
committed

Clay