From:
Jess Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jess Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:45:24 -0600
These are coming from a guy who only sees the WCHA except in the playoffs, so if I might have missed a really good tilt between Union and Merrimack, please accept my apologies.

Best regular season game ever: Minnesota 3, Colorado College 2 (2/9/96 in Minneapolis). The Tigers came in with a four-point lead on the Gophers and I believe that they were ranked 1-2 in the country at the time. Minnesota needed a sweep to tie CC for the league lead with less than a month to play.

It was about the only legitimate sellout (with every seat filled) at the new Mariucci Arena and the place was absolutely electric. Tie game with under a minute to play when somehow Mike Crowley got the puck all alone at the top of the CC crease. Judd Lambert started to poke check and then hit a rut in the ice and stumbled, which opened up a small gap for Crowley to shoot it home, and the ovation was louder than anything the Metrodome has ever produced in '87 or '91.

The next night Doug Woog brought in local radio jock Jesse Ventura to give his team a pre-game pep talk. The Gophers lost the game, lost the league title, didn't make the Frozen Four and it's been all downhill since then. The Tigers and Ventura have fared much better.

Best league playoff game ever: Minnesota-Duluth 5, Minnesota 4 OT (3/15/98, WCHA first round in Duluth): Game three of the playoff series, and the Bulldogs hopes of finally defeating their arch-rivals in the playoffs look dashed when Goldy has a 4-0 lead with 15 minutes to play. It looks like despite the sixth -place finish, Doug Woog will take a mediocre team to Milwaukee for the Final Five.

Then the 'Dogs get one. Then another. Then another. They tie it in the last three minutes and we go to OT. Early in the extra session, the most hated Gopher, native Duluthian Dave Spehar, clanks the outside of the post, but we play on.

Then there's a scramble in front of the Gopher net and the puck pops high in the air. UMD captain Mike Peluso sees it coming down and smartly waits until the puck is at waist level before bunting it (baseball style) over Steve DeBus for the Bulldogs most memorable comeback ever.

After the teams shake hands, a still-jubilant Mike Sertich runs from the red line to the high slot, then dives and slides headfirst into the net in one of the WCHA's more unique postgame celebrations by a coach.

Got anything better?