From:
Mitchal Hawker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mitchal Hawker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:33:09 -0600
  At the risk of thumping a deceased equine....

  I recently remembered that I had written a program several months ago to
compare rankings of different ranking systems with actual game results.
The program simply looks at all games that did not end in a tie and did not
involve UNO (as not all systems include them this year) and tracks how
often the higher rated of the two teams in each system won or lost the
games.

  I reran it with the current data and the results are below, listed from
highest prediction percentage to lowest.  As many expected, KRACH came out
on top.

KRACH Right 565
KRACH Wrong 193
KRACH Pct 74.538

Massey Rignt 561
Massey Wrong 197
MASSEY Pct 74.011

RPI Right 558
RPI Wrong 200
RPI Pct 73.615

CHODR Right 557
CHODR Wrong 201
CHODR Pct 73.483

CCHP Right 551
CCHP Wrong 207
CCHP Pct 72.691

Heal Right 535
Heal Wrong 223
Heal Pct 70.580

  It should be noted that I did not use any of the systems' home ice
adjustments.

  Also, while KRACH is apparently always the best at matching with past
results (those from which the rankings are derived), I have found in the
last year that the CCHP has always been better at predicting future results.

  Does anyone know why that would be true?