Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:32:08 -0600
Steve Weisfeldt wrote:

> Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is suggesting that the committee
> "throw a bone"  to QC.  They're simply saying that given the currently
> stated criteria, Quinnipiac might deserve a bid.  Right or wrong (and I'm
> not sure I agree with some of the criteria), the numbers, as has been all
> stated before, are what are used.  IF QC qualifies on this, the committee
> can't just change things to avoid letting them in.  Rather, it should force
> the NCAA to reevaluate what the criteria is and make the adjustments for
> future seasons.

This has been said before, but usually buried in the rest of a post.  The
currently stated criteria (stated before the season started) gives the selection
committee the option to not include a team that would qualify based on PWR if
the conference was deemed insufficiently strong.  The numbers, as has been
stated before, are *not* all that is used.  The committee does not have to
change things to avoid letting Quinnipiac in if PWR ranks them among the
qualifiers.  In retrospect, it might have been nice if the NCAA had stated the
obvious, that this was directed specifically at the MAAC (or perhaps to any
newly formed conference, or any conference that didn't play any of the other
contenders) rather than engaging in a diplomatic fudge to not single anyone out,
but they didn't.  But they don't have to change previously established rules to
not include a MAAC.

J. Michael Neal