From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:01:13 -0500
I agree that Title IX is a major stumbling block, but I suspect it's not
really hockey that's the problem.  I'm no expert on Title IX, but it seems
quite easy to me to make creating  a varsity men's hockey team Title IX
neutral by creating a women's team at the same time.

I note that there aren't nearly as many women's teams in the midwest as
there are in the east.  Perhaps it's because it hasn't caught on as much
there, so there isn't the pool of players.  Anyone?

I'd guess that a more signficant problem for big-time football schools is
that football so tilts the Title IX scales toward the men that it would be
nearly impossible to add another men's varsity sport even if it's Title IX
neutral.  What these schools need are women's sports that don't have
corresponding men's teams.

It sure is a tempting thought, though.  These schools know how to run big
time athletic programs and already have established ties with big 10 D1
schools in other sports.  They may be able to avoid some of the difficulties
that other new D1 progams face.

Clay