From:
Lance P Riegert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lance P Riegert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:34:01 -0000
Correction- Vermont has clinched a play-off spot as was pointed out to me. I also was reading the previews for next weeks games on ECAC HockeyNet (hockey.ecac.com), and it said that Vermont had clinched a spot for the first round.

If Vermont upsets the home team in the first round of the play-offs, which could be Clarkson, St. Lawrence, RPI, Princeton, or Yale (if my math is correct), then they would go to Lake Placid as the reseeded 5th seed. They would have to play Thursday Night aginst the reseeded 4th team. If they win play again on Friday, against the reseed #1 team, and if they somehow get another upset, play yet agian on Saturday for the ECAC Championchip (which would be UVM's first D1 Championchip). This 3 game weekend aginst the best remaining teams in the tournament would be hard to play. The Final Five gives the #1 seed a huge advantage for the Friday night game. And Vermont probaly won't be able to make it that far.

Remember:
UVM lost to Clarkson twice
UVM lost and tied St. Lawrence
UVM won and lost to RPI
UVM alson split to Princeton
and fell twice to Yale
Their record against the top 5 teams through the season is: 2-7-1, not bad for a team picked 10th in the preseason poll and 8th place coming into the weekend. Alson remember that UVM started to season hot, but afterwards have fallen into a slump, If the cats can come up hot this weekend, then They might be able to remain hot for the road trip to Clarkson, St. Lawrence, RPI, Princeton, or Yale.

MY POST-SEASPN FATE FOR THE CATAMOUNTS:
Take the First round to 3 games, but still upseting (depending on who they play, they beat RPI, and Princeton, and tied ST. Lawrence, if they play Clarkson (unlikely) then they might not have a chance, and if they play Yale (who beat UVM last weekend by a 3-1 score), it will be close and UVM might get a win.

IF, FOR SOME REASON THE CATS ADVANCE:
Win on Thursday, and play Clarkson-St. Lawrence on Friday, if they play St. Lawrence thwy could advance once again to the champsiochip, but if they play Clarkson, they will end the season.

OK, THEY WON ON FRIDAY, TWO GAMES IN AS MANY NIGHTS, AND NOW THEY HAVE TO PLAY AGAIN!
I would bet aganst them making it this far, but if God is on their side, and they do, playing the 2nd or 3rd place team, then they have a chance, but I have to remember that they have played two do-or-die games two straigh nights, and they wont have to power to add another and take a trip out West for the NCAAs.

THE BEST POSSIBLE FATE
Bottom 5 win the first round, UVM enters as a 3rd place team, dosn't play on Thursday, play's Friday, wins, plays Saturday and wins again.

OK, OK, now I'm only dreaming.

Lets see what happends the next few weekends.

Lance Riegert
GO CATS GO!

---
*"To you from failing hands we throw the torch.*
*          Be yours to hold it high."          *

What are you N2?  Choose from 150 free e-mail addresses.
http://www.n2mail.com