From:
Todd Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:27:42 EST
Haven't we already been down this road?  Union was only *rumored* to be
returning to D-III.

<< sources close to QC have indicated that QC which has been on a recruiting
 binge is going to fill in the breach if Union leaves the ECAC to drop back to
 D3; >>

What sources?!? Even if this is true, it sounds a little like counting
chickens, and a little early at that.  My understanding is that Union has
planned to upgrading its facilities.  That to me sounds like a commitment to
its hockey program, not a retreat.

<< there is further talk of UConn coming in as well which would certainly
 throw the MAAC for a loop since QC organized the MAAC! The inclusion of the 2
 schools would pre-empt the MAAC from quickly catching the ECAC in talent;
 Union would return to playing traditional foes Trinity, Williams, Amherst et
 al >>

Removing one ECAC team and adding two upsets the balance in the league.  It
also leaves RPI (or at least somebody) without a travel partner.  If Union
were to drop out, I'd have an easier time believing that Niagara would join,
and travel partners would be re-aligned.  And with the Ivies 28(?)-game limit,
a 13-team league would even further restrict how many non-league games they
would play.  I just don't see this happening.