From:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:08:49 -0500
greenie wrote:
> Quite frankly, I'd say every team deserves a shot at the national
> championship.

I think we just have a fundamental difference of opinion. Yes, every team
in October deserves a shot at the title. But by March most teams have
shown on the ice that they are not amond the best in the country. The
top teams demonstrate their "right" to play for the national championship
through their success during the season.

> As for those teams that many feel are not "deserving" of a shot at the
> title, I'd say they deserve the chance all the more. They way Quinnipiac is
> playing this year, I'd love to see them be included in the final 12.
>
> Would they be taking the place of another team? Yes. Is that other team
> more deserving? Probably not, if the numbers point to their omission.

I love the fact that the tournament is (basically) decided by the numbers.
Does Quinnipiac deserve to be in the tournament this year? The insularity
of the MAAC scheduling (this year) means that it's hard to say and the
numbers (PWR) may not adequately measure them against the rest of Division
one hockey. That's why the committee has allowed itself a subjective
fudge factor when determining bids this year.

If Qunnipiac gets in and takes the place of an established DI team I won't
vry foul because the team that lost out was on the bubble anyway (by the
numbers). But remember, awarding an autobid is not "by the numbers".
(Not necessarily unfair either, just outside the system).

> Furthermore, everybody would be changing their tune if a team like
> Quinnipiac faced say, North Dakota in the first round and managed to come
> out victorious. This is one of the great things about the NCAA tournaments
> for any sport; they can allow the small, unknown teams and schools a chance
> to make a bit of a mark.

I disagree, at least personally. I don't think it's such a great thing when
a sixteenth seed knocks off the top seed if there are (in my opinion) too
many teams in the tournament.

I guess my point really is that a big tournament diminishes the
importance of the regular season. Why play the RS if not to earn the
right to play for post-season crowns? If everyone gets in (and I know
we're not really talkin about letting *everyone* in) then what's the
point. Let the smaller, unknown schools make a mark during the year
first.

I've always felt strongly, in every sport, that you should have to win
in order to move on. In that sense it wouldn't bother me if the MAAC
gets an autobid since that team will be a conference champion. But there
certainly aren't 16 conference champions in division one hockey, no
matter how you define the term "champion".
Keith Kannenberg
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://mae.cornell.edu/kannenb/