From:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:37:23 -0500
Todd Nielson <[log in to unmask]>  posted:
> Why, because UNO is D-I and RIT is D-III?  I'm not so sure what
> kind of paper that should have been written on, but its been a long
> time since RIT has been a push over for all but the best of
> Division I teams.

I always wonder about this.  I think that the unfortunate fact is that there
just aren't enough games scheduled between top Div. III teams and ANY Div. I
teams so it's very hard to judge.  With "strength of schedule" being so
important in making the NC$$ tournament, it's understandable that any school
with a pipe-dream chance of making it to the top RPI ratings will not
jeopardize that with a Div. III opponent.
Wouldn't it be possible to calculate this differently to encourage a few of
these matches for each top team to help grow the sport?  (Maybe the way
humane professors would throw out the lowest couple of quiz scores - of
course RPI and Clarkson, as tough engineering schools would refuse such a
cheap benefit.)

> My personal feeling is that  RIT is ripe for a move up to Division I.
> Chris Lerch and I have debated this point before (remember
> Chris?).  RIT really has done everything it can at the D-III level,
>  including winning national championships.

I agree with this.  They have the example of Union to follow.  The Dutchmen
took some lumps the first few years in Div. I after being a Div. III power
(perhaps contradicting Todd's divisional parity idea) but they can be tough
on any given night.  It certainly gives the school more exposure, and
they're definitely not a punching bag at the higher level - isn't that
better than beating up on weak Div. III opponents clearly not on your level?
Years ago (as others on the list can remember) when MAAC was not even a
dream, people here were wistfully imagining another Div. I Conference, and
RIT was one of the names that kept coming up.

> Already this season RIT has scored ten or more goals four times,
> and a quick look at their season results show they've dominated
> nearly all of their opponents.

This certainly sounds like it's time for the move - how often do you hear
about even a great Div I school racking up 10 goals against an opponent?
(Although there was the time decades ago that BU beat Cornell on their own
ice ... was it 9-0?)  If scores like that aren't enough to give them the
courage to make a move, maybe they should play against PeeWees - maybe they
could run up 20 or 30 goals?  (Sorry about bearding the Tigers, but if it
takes a goad, I'll use it to encourage creation of yet another Div. I team.)

Dave Carroll
BU '73