From:
Bruce Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:12:10 -0400
There has been discussion of Winny Brodt transferring to Minnesota recently.

I beleive the key issue is the One-Time Transfer Exception.  I do not have
a current NC$$ manual, but in the 95-96 edition it was covered under
section 14.5.5.3.11.

Section (a) states that "The student is a participant in a sport other than
Division I basketball, Division I-A football, or Division I men's ice
hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. .....

Section (b) states that "the student has not transferred previously ......

Section (d) states that "the students previous institution certifies in
writing that it has no objection to the students being granted an exception
to the transfer residence requirements.  If the student's previous
institution denies his or her request for a release, the institution shall
inform the stdent athlete that he or she, upon request, shall be provided a
hearing conducted by an institutional entity or committee outside of the
athletics department.......

Those with up-to-date manuals can check to see if the One-Time Transfer
Exception is still the same.  I do know that the issue revolves around the
listing of sports in section (a) and since women's hockey is not included a
one-time transfer may be allowable.

I'm interested in further thought/comments.

Bruce Spencer