From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:54:59 -0600
>>UNH won the comparison with Yale ... thus they stay East .... not to
>>mention the attendance factor.
>
>Ohhhhkay. So now we have yet ANOTHER factor, don't we. Jeepers. Guess
>that's why so many call it the NC$$. Is there some cool formula we can
use
>-- "since the numbers are all that matter" -- to figure out the
attendance
>factor?

ARGH!

Try to separate these two things:

a) choosing the teams in the tournament
b) seeding

If you read the stories on USCHO you'll know ... choosing the at-large
teams is based solely on criteria and numbers.

Some outside factors like attendance considerations have ALWAYS been a
concern for seeding.

ALWAYS.

>So I add another factor to the list (in no particular order) when it
comes
>to seeding the tournament:
>
>Pairwise comparisons, overall
>Pairwise compariosns, team-to-team (to eliminate ties)
>Rating percentage index
>Record versus teams under consideration
>Record in last 20
>Record against common opponents
>(an attempt, anyway) to avoid same-conference matchups
>Attendance

After all this time -- you are still incorrect ...

Your middle 4 things are part of PWR

Only head-to-head comparisons matter in seeding ...

Then throw in avoiding intra-conference matchups and attendance
considerations.  Read the FAQ.

>Yes, it was all "pretty simple" this year, but I didn't see a single
post
>from anybody on this list who accurately predicted the brackets (after
all
>games were done) before they were announced.

Of course you did -- at least many people did it, and many right here on
the list the night before --- including myself, Jayson Moy and Keith
Instone ... the message I posted to the listed was an alternate theory
that agreed with Charlie Shub -- but either was possible ....

In fact -- the only two brackets posted to the list (by Charlie and
Keith), were the exact two brackets that the committee considered.

Please pay attention.
Everything you have stated in this e-mail is so far off ... but people
just LOVE to be able to say that someone else screwed up, or someone
else is incompetant, instead of just admitting that you have no idea
what's going on.

AW