Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:49:39 -0700
At 10:10 AM 3/23/98 -0600, Adam wrote:

>UNH won the comparison with Yale ... thus they stay East .... not to
>mention the attendance factor.

Ohhhhkay. So now we have yet ANOTHER factor, don't we. Jeepers. Guess
that's why so many call it the NC$$. Is there some cool formula we can use
-- "since the numbers are all that matter" -- to figure out the attendance
factor?

Greg Ambrose hit this one right on the nose when he wondered why nobody
mentioned this one before; and for me, while not surprised at the
occurrence, I'm surprised that this would be considered a true "factor" in
the tournament committee's plans.

Maybe we can start figuring out the percentage of a school's fans that own
replica jerseys, or base selections on the value of scalped tickets <g>

So I add another factor to the list (in no particular order) when it comes
to seeding the tournament:

Pairwise comparisons, overall
Pairwise compariosns, team-to-team (to eliminate ties)
Rating percentage index
Record versus teams under consideration
Record in last 20
Record against common opponents
(an attempt, anyway) to avoid same-conference matchups
Attendance

Yes, it was all "pretty simple" this year, but I didn't see a single post
from anybody on this list who accurately predicted the brackets (after all
games were done) before they were announced.

Heck, even Sean Lagrande -- who I guess has a pretty good handle on the
college hockey scene, and was one of the hosts of the selection show --
admitted he was surprised by the committee arranging potential BU-UNH and
MSU-OSU matchups.

Furthermore, the WCHA broadcasting crew also erred when they predicted the
brackets after the UND-Wisconsin game.

Whichever, thanks to Adam, Keith, Greg, John, Charlie, and everyone else
who's done their darndest to make me understand. As cut-and-dried as it
turned out to be, it was still a blast to watch the selection show and
learn of all the matchups!

"Let's Play Hockey!"

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!