From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 20:57:17 -0600
>Just finished reading Dave Hendrickson's article on USCHO on Hockey
East
>losing their seat on the NCAA selection committee to the MAAC and
>Quinnipiac's Jack MacDonald.  Methinks that if Joe spent more time
paying
>attention to the interests of the entire league rather than just those
>members from Boston, perhaps HE would still have that seat.
>
>For those who think I am being unfair

I know you're being unfair ... but it's always easy to criticize from a
distance -- and for people you don't deal with face-to-face.  Why is it
that people who make blanket criticisms (always a perceived slight on
their favorite team amazingly enough) and personal attacks are ones who
have never seen the person work, or talked to them.  I'm not saying
everyone should talk to them, but that means don't be so quick to judge.

>please recall his season long
>shilling for Chris Drury, who was not only named HE Player of the Year
(a
>no brainer after UNH took the fade), but HAD to be named defensive
player
>of the year as well.  Also, his near salivating at the possibility that
the
>3 Boston schools could be in the HE semis made me ill.

Did it occur to you he was pumping Drury for Hobey figuring he was the
league's strongest candidate.  You want someone from your league to win,
so if he honestly felt Drury was the stronger candidate, you put a lot
of eggs in one basket. It's done with the Heisman all the time.

Why Bertagna would purposefully slight New Hampshire is a concocted
illusion from fans who want to believe it.  Ask Dick Umile if he
believes it --- I'm sure he considers Bertagna a friend.

>May I suggest that Joe do more to boost the fortunes of the entire
league?
>At the beginning of the season he categorically stated that he would
not
>try to expand HE by luring teams from another conference.  Since that
>leaves the ECAC and the MAAC out, where, Joe, are these team(s) going
>come from?  Are you working on this?

So basically you are advocating the systematic raping of other leagues.
I'm sure the other leagues would be happy with that.

Gee, Joe doesn't want to tick off other leagues -- so civility is now a
bad thing?

> And while you work on expansion,
>don't forget those  members of the conference where interest seems to
have
>lagged, i.e. Providence College, Merrimack and UMass. The low
attendance at
>PC, given the history of the program, is amazing.

The notion that he could or should do anything about that himself is
amazing.

I'll just never understand in a million years why when there's two
possibilities to something
a) a good reason you may not understand or realize
b) a purposeful slight toward you or your group, or complete
incompetance
That people always choose to believe B.

This doesn't go for this topic alone --- it goes for all topics in all
walks of life.  Why assume the worst when there's no basis in it except
your perception?  If insiders (i.e. coaches and ADs) really believed it
was true, then they wouldn't bring him back.  The non-Boston schools
have more votes, right?

AW