From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:16:01 -0500
On Jan 27, 23:17, Mark Lewin wrote:
>a story broke a few days before Christmas about 3 Maine
>hockey players who were arrested and charged after making
>threatening phone calls to a black athlete (also of UMaine).
>One of the hockey players was Bryan Masotta (formerly of
>RPI).
>
>If I remember correctly, they were suspended from the team
>(but not from school) and were supposed to appear in court
>in mid-January.
>Does anyone know the outcome of that? Are they still in school?
>Have they been permanently dropped from the team? What happened
>in their court appearance?

There was a thread on this on USCHO's message board.  It doesn't appear to be
there anymore, but here's what I remember from it:

Masotta pleaded "no contest" to whatever the legal-ese is for this, and I think
he was sentenced to probation and community service, though I wouldn't swear to
it.  Anyway, charges against the other two were dropped.  All three were
suspended from the team; one of the other two has transferred to, I believe, a
Division III school, while the other is still at Maine appealing his
suspension. He claims (as does the player who transferred) that his voice is
not one of those in the background in the infamous voice-mail.

This is all from memory and hopefully not too faulty... any screwups in the
above are unintentional.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"A friend of mine became a billionaire by inventing Cliff Notes.  When I
 asked him where he got such a great idea, he said, 'Well, to make a long
 story short...'"
-- Steven Wright