From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:48:25 -0600
No doubt the U is having an off year, quite possibly their first losing
record since 76-77 when they were 17-22-3.  That's twenty straight winning
seasons.  I think the Minnesota public is overreacting.  For those of us
who have cheered for other teams, I think it would sure be nice if we
could string together 20 seasons like that.  Are the people in Denver
calling for the coaches head because they're in 8th?  Mike Sertich keeps
his job after numerous 5th and 7th place finishes (7-6-7-5-5-5-1-7-7-4
over the last ten years)  People just need to relax a bit.  The Gophs lost
Crowley, whom they expected to have, and Rasmussen, goon that he is, he at
least gave opponents something to fear.

Anyway, my point is, is that it happens.  Big Deal.  It's still great
hockey to watch and enjoy, and if they don't win the championship this
year, well, that's the way it goes.  These guys are playing as hard as
they can, and they don't need whiners disrespecting their efforts.

As far as this is bad for the league, why?  It's not hurting ticket sales
in Minneapolis, probably not on the road either, since everyone wants to
see the Gophers get beat.  Why is it bad for the league to have Minnesota
on the bottom rather than UAA, NMU, or CC (some recent last place teams)?
I think it's probably better for the league to have new teams at the top
every once in a while.

TF