From:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 06:00:59 -0700
I think that there is an NCAA reg (Deron, can you help?) that
states that a league must be in existence for 5 (?) years
before an automatic bid is given.

This rule was in effect when the Big East roundball league
was first formed.  The NCAA did not take the conference
champion one year, if favor of a school with a better regular
season.

Now, when Hockey East was formed, they petitioned to
have an exemption from the reg and it was granted.

I think there are two ways of handling this.  One would be to
give a conference bid, but leave it up to the NCAA for the
first X years to pick the team.  Two, let them play a "playin"
game against the #12 (16) team.

If anyone thinks that the "playin" game would be a walkover,
just remember the 1991 BC - UA Anchorage NCAA 1st
round.

Personally, I'm in favor of one bid for a few years and then
let's see what happens.  It can only help the sport and our
exposure in the media laden North East (and hence,
nationally).

Any chance of Penn resurrecting their program back to Div
1?  They have a nice rink (at least it was back in the late
70's) and a good location.

Rambling thoughts

Joe