From:
Bruce Hissong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Hissong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:06:14 -0400
At 10:56 AM 4/10/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Arthur Mintz writes...
>
>>>If I'm not mistaken, goaltenders cannot be captains or alternates.
>>>
>>>Paula C. Weston
>>
>>Goaltenders cannot perform the activities allowed to captains (e.g.,
>>talking to referees, specifying players to serve bench penalties) during
>>games. However, there is much more to being a captain of a team than
>>talking to officials during games.

Just out of curiosity, why can't goaltenders perform these duties?  Is it a
specific rule, and if so, what it the rationale for the rule?  I'd think
that goaltenders would be just as capable of traditional "captain duties" as
anyone else, maybe more so in some cases.  Maybe everyone assumes they've
just taken too many pucks to the head :)  (Just a joke.  My apologies to
Craig Lisko is he's reading this!)

Bruce Hissong