From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:31:00 EST
First place votes (9 possible) and total points (90 possible)
noted for top three in each category.  And, remember, only
one nominee per team per category.  (Something I've always
disagreed with.)

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Brendan Morrison (Michigan)
The first two-time winner in CCHA history.  One vote away
from being unanimous...probably the same voter that didn't
think Morrison was one of the three best forwards in the
conference.  What is he smoking?
1. Morrison (8) 85.
2. Randy Robitaille, Miami (2) 49.
3. Andy Roach, Ferris State (0) 16.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Daryl Andrews (Western Michigan)
Hats off to Scott Brown at USCHO for calling this one a month
ago.  I'm happy to see a defenseman win it myself.  On the
negative side, it was a very weak year for rookies in the CCHA
as a whole, IMO.  Fwiw...Andrews (4-4-1) edges out Notre Dame's
Joe Dusbabek (5-1-0), who had more first places votes but was
completely omitted on three ballots.
1. Andrews (4) 62.
2. Dusbabek (5) 55.
3. Hugo Boisvert, Ohio State (1) 23.

COACH OF THE YEAR
Mark Mazzoleni (Miami)
IMO, this was an easy call.  Nobody picked MU for second.
With almost everyone returning, look for Miami to be #1 on a
lot of CCHA pre-season ballots come September.  Fwiw...LSSU's
Scott Borek (1-1-1) was named on three ballots.  Huh?  Granted,
the Lakers were hit hard by graduation, but let's look at some
of the numbers.  (A) Overall, LSSU was 2-12-3 versus the four
teams playing at Joe Louis Arena today.  (B) The team has zero
discipline.  The top four LSSU scorers had 82, 91, 80 and 211
penalty minutes.  You have to keep these guys on the ice, not
in the box...they're your meal ticket.
1. Mazzoleni (6) 66.
2. Red Berenson, Michigan (2) 47.
3. John Markell, Ohio State (0) 26.

BEST DEFENSIVE FORWARD
John Madden (Michigan)
I guess this is what happens when you work your butt off every
shift, set an NCAA record for shorthanded goals and dominate
the +/- category.  (Madden was +26 in CCHA play.  The next best
was +20.)  Last year's winner, LSSU's Bates Battaglia, wasn't
nominated as Terry Marchant...a fine defender, IMO...was the
Laker candidate.  Fwiw...I'll take Berens over Copeland any day.
1. Madden (8) 85.
2. Adam Copeland, Miami (1) 31.
3. Sean Berens, Michigan State (1) 30.

BEST OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN
Andy Roach (Ferris State)
YES!  They have seen the light!  Andy Roach has to be the least
recognized All-American in recent memory.  Can you tell that I
like the kid? :-)  He eeks out the award over Miami's Dan Boyle
On The Butt Of Humanity.
1. Roach (5) 58.
2. Boyle (3) 57.
3. Joe Corvo, Western Michigan (1) 36.

BEST DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN
Tyler Harlton (Michigan State)
The award I cherish the most.
1. Harlton (7) 77.
2. Harold Schock, Michigan (2) 50.
3. Todd Rohloff, Miami (1) 30.

TERRY FLANAGAN MEMORIAL AWARD
Steve Noble (Notre Dame)
For this one, I'm going to direct you to the CCHA web site
(www.ccha.com) to read more about it.  I'll simply say that
Noble is a very deserving winner.  One Irishman I'll be happy
to applaud.

FINAL FOUR
Yes, Final Four.  A few recent posts have alluded to schools
(BU, Miami, Minnesota in particular) that look to be in both the
NCAA hockey and hoop tourney.  Fwiw...only one school has
appeared in the Final Four and Phinal Phour in the same
season...Michigan.  The Wolverines have turned the trick in
1964, 1992 and 1993.  (And, no, the NIT doesn't count. :-)
The Gophers look to have the strongest chance to do so
this season, but we all know how the Big Ten (plus one)
chokes on the hardcourt in March, so I don't look for it to happen.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])