Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:44:26 -0700
Bryan Hanson asked:

"Anybody have an answer to my wife's question and know why players use
either black or white tape?

Tape on sticks has three purposes:

1. Protect the blade from splintering (thereby protecting players) along
its base. Even the best ice can chew up an untaped stick. Even pro players
like to avoid changing sticks all the time -- after all, each player
encounters a "hot" stick at some point in his life.

2. Allow a cusion (albeit a small one) to help maintain control of the puck
when both receiving passes and taking shots at the goal (a sub reason, I've
been told it also cuts back on stick vibration on hard shots)

3. Provide a surface with slight friction to aid on puckhandling and passing.

Regarding the color of the tape, I've heard a number of people tell the
story of "hiding the puck" or "hiding the stick" -- however, I don't think
friction tape (used most by non-goalies) is available in anything but black.

Years back Peter Fish (BU netminder, 85-88) told me he used cloth tape not
so much for the white color but because it provides a slightly better
"cusion" for stopping ice-level shots.

In the NHL, there's a reason #4 -- to help soak up blood when you slash
someone's face.  =:-O

greenie

S P O O N ! !

GO BU!    (hockey)
GO BU!    (basketball)
GO 'BOWS! (20-6 and no tourney bid? Bull!)
GO BU!    (did I mention hockey?)