From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg R. Berge
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:50:10 -0500
Harvey wrote:

> I just had to respond to the claim that Vermont was crying because of the
> tactics used by Princeton vs. the French Connection (St. Louis and
Perrin)
> and lack of calls by. the Officials.

So far, all posts which I have read have referred to the local *press*
complaining, not the team.

I'm sure Gilligan realizes that every team's top line faces a tough, if
inelegant, defense.  The test of great players and great leaders is to play
through this and win.  If S&P were *not* capable of doing so, the rest of
the legaue wouldn't be so happy to see them go.  (Personally, I'd like
circumstances to arrange themselves so that a Cornell-Vermont post-season
meeting can finally come about.  These teams have been one decision away
from that three times in the last three years, and it still eludes us.)

As far as the press goes -- I am equally sure that people realize that the
press is not here to inform, it is here to *sell a product*, and the best
way to do that in the wake of disappointment is either bloodletting or
whining 'unfair' -- both have the desired LCD effect.  Editorial content in
the news media has no purpose other than commerce, and people should treat
it as such.

- Greg