From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 17:09:40 -0500
>Union found themselves down 2-0 in the first period, despite a 12-9
>shot advantage.  I think a huge moment in the game was in the first
>period when John Sicinski had an apparent goal but instead RPI came
>right back and scored their second goal.  I was 100% convinced that
>Sicinski's shot was in.  I had a very good view of it and it looked to
>me like it got in behind the crossbar and quickly came back out.

I was sitting right next to Jim and was as sure it went in as he was.
It looked to me like the puck hit the crossbar (which end, I don't know),
deflected straight down, hit BEHIND the goal line, then bounced out.
The entire Union contingent (all 1,000+) started screaming at the
ref (Taylor) that it was a goal.

However, the Union players weren't celebrating and the puck was in the
right corner a second later. Now, it may have bounced there as it came
out of the net (no JFK magic bullet theory here...). Taylor didn't
look like he was even in position to make the call. I looked for him
immediately after the apparent goal, but couldn't find him. That
post may have hindered me, though.

>Union's defense tightened up and allowed just 9 shots over the last 2
>periods.  Trevor Koenig stopped all 8 he was in net for.  The offense
>continued to fire lots of shots at Laing.  At one point, I think in
>the second period, Laing stopped an initial shot and at least quick 2
>rebound shots.  At that point, I said to Andy Weise that if Laing was
>going to be doing that, Union just couldn't win.

I think Union got a taste of their own medicine. A lot of offense,
but being stoned by a hot goalie. They dominated for the final two
periods and I *really* thought that the equalizer would come with
plenty of time left in the game. I saw OT. It was reported in the
Albany Times Union that the Union coaching staff hadn't decided to
pull Trevor Koenig, yet he came out of the net with about 1 minute
left in the game. The empty-netter came with 53 seconds left.

>The one thing that will always amaze me is how the Field House crowds
>are in such a hurry to go home.  Even before the empty net goal when
>the outcome was not decided by any means, a steady stream of people
>were running for the exits.  After the empty-netter it was a
>stampede..  Apparently these people have never seen a hockey game with
>a comeback in the final minute.  When my team wins a playoff game, I'm
>going to be there to see every last second of it.  I can only imagine
>how empty that place must get when RPI falls behind in the third.  At
>least maybe then I could move out of my seat behind the pole
>(wonderful seats they sent down to be sold at Achilles...) to
>somewhere I could see the whole ice surface.

This has been talked about in the past, so I won't make too much
of a big deal out of it. Having said that....

I fully agree with Jim. Your team is ahead by one goal with 4 minutes
left in a playoff game. It is a very evenly-matched, exciting game and the
opponent is threatening to tie the game. I have one question:

WHY ON EARTH DO YOU EVEN LEAVE YOUR SEAT?????

This makes no sense whatsoever.

>I assume Scott Prekaski will get his
>chance to show what he can do for RPI tonight.

Most likely. If Laing has been hot like everybody has said, then he
must have had an off night. There were several shots that clearly
beat him - one was the non-goal, at least three shots that rippled
just wide on the outside of the net, and a few that Laing never saw
that sailed wide or over the net. Other than those ;-), he played
well.

I think they key to Union winning is to get on the board first.
don't ask Yale or Brown, but Union is not a come-from-behind team.
Despite the way they played last night after being down 2-0, I'll
stick to that.

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93
Union College '95