From:
Billy Lustgarten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 16:49:57 -0500
A penalty was called on Vermont, but since Cornell had control of the
puck, it was delayed.  This means that as soon as Vermont gained control
of the puck, play would be stopped and the penalty would be assessed.
However, Cornell kept possession of the puck for a while after the
initial penalty was signaled.  This allowed them to bring their goalie
to the bench for a 6th skater.  There is virtually no risk in this
because if Vermont had touched the puck, the whistle would have blown and
play would have stopped.  Auger scored before Vermont was able to get the
puck.  Cornell had 6 skaters on the ice at the time to Vermont's 5,
because the Cornell goalie was on the bench.

                                                Billy Lustgarten
                                                Cornell '98