From:
"(No Name)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 11:44:47 -0500
Classification:
Prologue: Dan Olsen
IBM Global Services
Client Services Representative
East Fishkill, NY / Building 504 2J5-21
Ph: 8-532-5259 / (914) 892-5259
FAX: 8-532-7588 / (914 )892-7588
Mail: IBMUSM00(DOLSEN) or
Epilogue: Regards,
Dan Olsen

I hope most will agree that this second half of the season has definitely been
exciting already.  The parity is amazing; just when you think a team is
starting to make a run, they have a terrible showing.  It isn't getting any
easier to make my poll picks.

Just when Michigan secures its place at number 1, the issue comes into doubt
again Tuesday, when they can only tie Cornell at Michigan.  A great tie for
Cornell, who many were doubting.

New Hampshire has been the beast of the east in the first half, but after a
loss and a tie to BU and a big loss to Clarkson, the Wildcats are looking more
like kittens.

Minnesota has been one of the most impressive teams in the nation, but this
weekend could only split at home against Denver, getting its win in overtime.
Denver is one of the few teams playing above expectations lately.

Lake Superior State was consistently moving up my poll until this past weekend,
until a Michigan State team which was on the down slope of my poll gained two
ties at LSSU.  The Spartans finally showed the ability that the hinted at by
beating Michigan early in the season.

Colorado College could only manage a tie at Michigan Tech on Friday, depsite
the fact that they did win on Saturday.

North Dakota split with St. Cloud State.  I've finally given in...St. Cloud
State is better than I thought, they'll be in my poll this week.  For the
Fighting Souix, this is a tough loss, but the fact that everyone else lost will
help ease the pain.

I talked about Cornell earlier.  A great tie against Michigan, followed by a
loss at home to Army.  What's going on here?

Princeton is enjoying life at the top of the ECAC although Vermont and Clarkson
are sitting ready to attack the Tigers.  Their loss to Vermont didn't hurt
their standing in the poll much, as they were in the game, but with four games
in hand and a head-to-head win, Vermont and Clarkson can definitely eye the top
of the ECAC.

Clarkson is coming off a 3 game winning streak, following a loss at home to
Colgate.  For us Knight fans, we hope that Clarkson has finally turned its
inconsistent play around.  A solid victory over UNH helped to rid the Knights
of one monkey.  This month will be the telling factor as the Knights and
Catamounts duel it out twice in January.

RPI has been impressive at times, and then not at other times.  They squeaked
out of Brown with a win only to get crushed at Harvard on Saturday.

Vermont is finally making its comeback.  The Cats have made their way back into
my poll this week, and I look forward to a great matchup with Clarkson at
Gutterson on Saturday.  (it is kind of scary though, two teams that have
finally found the gas pedal who don't much like each other to begin with).

Finally, what about the ECAC in general.  Six points separate second place from
tenth place, with the tenth place team having 4 games in hand over first place
Princeton.  It seems that everyone wants to have a win and a loss every
weekend.  Only Dartmouth, Brown and Yale are more than two games under .500.
No team in the league has less than 3 losses, and only 3 teams have 3 or less
wins (SLU, Dartmouth, and Brown).