From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 00:31:52 GMT
I think that one thing is clear, and I have noticed this over many
years, and through a few tournaments:

Besides the NCAA tournament, there is no set way to determine how long
overtimes are.

It's plain and simple.  Let's take this past RPI tournament into
consideration.  Here are some of the actual quotes from the press box
and on the catwalk:

"How long is the overtime?"
"What happens after the first overtime?"
"Is there a resurfacing?"
"DO the teams change ends?"
"Is there a timeout alloted?"
"Does anybody f***ing know?"

The overtime of the Brown-Bowling Green game began as a ten minute
overtime after a 12 minute break for resurfacing.

If the first overtime ended with no win, then NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON
knew what was going to happen.  They were going to make it up as they
went along.  I heard various scenarios:
1) A resurfacing and then a 10 minute OT
2) No resurfacing, teams change ends, 10 minute OT
3) A resurfacing and then a 10 minute OT
4) A shootout

So it seems to me that no one knows, and each tournament's overtimes
are at the discretion of whomever is in charge of the tournament.
This has happened before at the RPI tournament.

Just out of curiousity, what was the case in Denver for the
Yale-Denver game, the SLU-NE game at the Auld Lang Syne?

Jayson Moy