From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:57:09 -0400
I'm not going to offer an opinion, and get into a nasty debate, but I
will offer some facts based on Darrin's questions/comments.

On 18 Sep 96 at 1:45, Darrin Reed Wassom wrote:

> I think the biggest reasons that the MSU actions seem lax compared
> to Maine are as follows:
>
> 1. MSU launced its own internal investigation and imposed their own
> restrictions. They didn't try to ignore the problem and didn't try
> to hide anything..

Maine launched their own internal investigation, so complete in fact,
that the NCAA used it as it's findings as it's own and made judgement
based on that.

Maine also imposed penalties on their hockey program including
banning them from the 1996 NCAA Tournament, suspending head ice
hockey coach Shawn Walsh for one year without pay, suspending head
recruiter Grant Standbrook from recruiting off-campus for six months,
imposed minor scholarship reductions, and some minor details.

The Maine case wasn't one in which the NCAA came in and was faced
with a myriad of uncooperative people.  In fact the NCAA noted in
it's decision that Maine and student athletes had an unprecedented
level of cooperation.

> 2. Most of the charges stem from the 'Perles Era'. George Perles
> (Former Coach) and Greg Croxton (Academic Advisor) are no longer
> affiliated with the program. MSU has also gotten a new Athletic
> Advisor and is taking major steps to keep the program in compliance.

This could be a large difference in that Perles is no longer there
and Walsh was only suspended.

> 3. Many of the original charges from Roosevelt Wagner could not be
> substantiated despite thorough investigations.

I think the same can be said for Maine.  While the findings are
significant and disgusting, there were also a large range of charges
being thrown around in the media and the lists that were never proven
by the NCAA.

> Granted, I don't know what steps were taken at Maine when their
> allegations surfaced but I do know MSU did a great job of
> identifying the problem, imposing their own restrictions, and taking
> steps to prevent the problem from happening again.

I've addressed a lot of this, but Maine also has put in place a new
compliance system (where most of Maine's problems stemmed from) and
it is reportedly being used as a model by other schools.

> MSU also spent close to a million dollars on their investigation and
> defense. They were well prepared and it looks like the money paid
> off.

Maine also spent over $500,000 on their investigation and follow-up
sessions.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Old Town, Maine