From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 21:09:26 -0400

>Sometimes I wonder how many people are able to truly appreciate what
>Crowder did at Lowell.  He took a program that was coming off an NCAA
>probation, several years of poor play and attendance, and was considered
>one of the less attractive places to recruit to.  In just a few years, he
>turned it into one that contended  for HE and twice defeated MSU on their
>home ice in the NCAA tourney.  He also generated community interest in the
>team where little existed before and where few thought it was possible.
>But what was most remarkable was the way he took the talent he had and got
>his players to greatly exceed what anyone expected of them.  This is
>primarily why I think he'll do well at NU.  He has shown that even in a
>situation where the recruits don't beat a path to your door - and a coach
>can only do so much in this regard, since players also consider factors
>that are beyond a coach's control - he is still able to win and do it
>consistently.
>
>At least at first, the situation he'll face at NU is not that different
>from what he had at Lowell.  NU has had the same sort of trouble landing
>top players that Lowell has had.  But NU also has some things to offer that
>Lowell does not, like the Beanpot and playing in Boston.  I don't know how
>long it will take, but Crowder is one of those rare coaches who has the
>ability to succeed where others have not.  I expect he'll do the same at NU.
>
>---                                                                   ---
>Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93

So, here is some interesting thoughts:

1.  Is UMass system intending to pony up serious $$ to attract a quality
    coach for Crowder's replacement at UML ?  Certainly, Calipari (ex-the
    highest paid employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts) having
    left frees up some bucks to spread around the varsity systems.  Somehow,
    I think the promise of the new Orrink in Lowell for the new coach won't
    on its own be enough.

2.  Who, in Crowder's opinion, was the most influential coach he has played
    for or coached with ?  Perhaps could be an interesting question,
especially
    if he named Shawn Walsh.

3.  Non-college reference -  but isn't he a much better motivator of men than
    Kasper ?  Certainly, he is more experienced.

        ****** If you can read this, thank your monitor *******