From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:14:40 -0900
At 01:28 PM 3/29/96 -0800, Scott R Quakkelaar wrote:
>     we've seen two D-I teams fold in recent years, and
>     they've both been from the ccha.  i wonder if this has
>     anything to do with league politics, as well as the
>     individual school politics being discussed at uic.  any
>     comments.

I think it's just a matter of geography.  The CCHA currently represents the
largest number of schools from "non-traditional" hockey areas.  As stated by
others, Ohio (and Chicago, apparently) are not college hockey hotbeds.  I
think the league has been as suuportive as it could've been in both
instances.  I think both UIC and Kent were relative newbies in the college
hockey scene, compared to some of the Eastern and WCHA schools.

We also say a couple of Western schools, namely Northern Arizona and US
International (San Diego) drop hockey programs in the late 80's.  Again,
these schools were on the fringe of viability and, possibly, victims of
internal politics more than league representation.

It just goes to restate the importance of commitment and fan support, both
real and perceived.  Simply joining a big name league is not enough to
support some DI programs.  Certainly something to consider in admitting new
members...

FWIW, both Alaska schools have strong support of their respective programs.
Hopefully, we can serve as examples to would-be new conference members.

Cheers,

-----
Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.
Purchasing Agent