From:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 12:11:27 -0500
On Sun, 3 Mar 1996, Sean Pickett wrote:
> OK, what fans?  Which coaches and writers?  And who are the experts
> (and what are they expert in?)?

My thoughts exactly.

> > BEST UNIFORMS
> > EAST
> >   1 Boston College
> >   2 Harvard
> >     UMass Lowell
> > WEST
> >   1 North Dakota
> >   2 Lake Superior
> >   3 Michigan

BC's much better now that York went back to the gold helmets, those are
much better than Cedorchuk's. There's an awful lot of tradition in those
and throwing that away and wearing maroon ones was a travesty.

> In regards to UMass Lowell's. again, is it the current uniform, or an
> earlier version?  I do like the current uniform and would likely have
> it in my top five of current uniforms in the East, if not overall.

I hate Lowell, but those are snazzy. Of course you can't read the number
from our press box so I don't like that part.

Gotta' love the Michigan helmets.

The one that's missing here that I'd love to see is the Notre Dame
special jersey. That IS my favorite hockey jersey of all time, at any
level, anywhere. There isn't even a second in my book, those just crush
any and all sweaters. NHL, juniors, high schools, I've never seen one I
like more.

I think the Gophers are pretty nice too.

> > BEST NICKNAMES
> > EAST
> >   1 Vermont Catamounts
> >   2 Clarkson Golden Knights
> >   3 UMass Lowell River Hawks
> > WEST
> >   1 North Dakota Fighting Souix
> >   2 Alask Fairbanks Nanooks
> >   3 Minnesota Golden Gophers

        Would have liked to see the Skating Dutchmen of Union crack this
list, but then again they have nothing on the Hofstra Flying Dutchmen.
        Also I assume this is DI only, because DIII has the greatest
nickname rivalry around when hated intrastate rivals Colby and Bowdoin
clash it's th White Mules against the Polar Bears. Beat that!

> > BEST ARENAS
> > EAST
> >   1 Conte Forum, Boston College
> >   2 Gutterson Filed House, Vermont
> >     Thompson Arena, Dartmouth

Apparently noone who voted has been to the Mullins Center yet. I've been
to most of the eastern rinks myself and the more I go on the road, the
more I learn to appreciate its amenities. The place is very fan friendly,
free parking and no obstructed views help there along with plenty of
concessions and restrooms (although I have NEVER seen a larger facility
for that than UNH, the men's room's bigger than some countries). From a
player's prespective it's tremendous, having two Olympic sized rinks, so
the team doesn't have to bus to some undersized and cold town rink when
there's a basketball game or concert or something.

I just don't know how the place didn't crack the list.

> For best I would not pick Conte, based on its very poor visitors bench
> placement and lack of backs on much of the seating.  I also dis agree
> with Thompson Arena, which I find to be too sterile.  I do agree that
> Gutterson is one of the best, since its renovation.

That bench and the bench seats are problems with Conte, I couldn't agree
more. And Gutterson is a great place to catch a game.

> > TOUGHEST ARENAS TO VISIT
> > EAST
> >   1 Walker Arena, Clarkson (no longer used)
> >   2 Gutterson Field House, Vermont
> >   3 Lynah Rink, Cornell
>
> Since Walker Arena, is no longer used, I think it is not fair for it
> to have been listed.  As a fan I did find it tough to visit, however
> the Terriers won the game.
>
> My list of toughest would be:
> 1 Alfond Arena, Maine
> 2 Lynah Rink, Cornell
> 3 Volpe Complex, Merrimack
> 4 Gutterson Field House, Vermont

        Are we talking as a fan or as a player here?
        As a fan I agree 100% with Volpe. It's cold, uncomfortable and
you have to listen to Huey Lewis & the News do the anthem, along with
that %$@^$^& sound effects CD. After an icing you don't know if you'll
have a jet fly-by, gun fire or a flushing toilet. Either way I'm not a fan.
        As a player though MC is not a tough place at all. The crowd's
usually under 1,000 and not too vocal, and there's nothing wrong with the
ice itself. The locker rooms are fine as well.
        As a player though, Walter Brown would HAVE to make this list.
It's loud and intimidating. There's a lot of distractions and it's never
a walk in the park.
        Either way I agree that Maine's No. 1 on this list. It was funny
seeing the Northeastern people last night with their fingers crossed and
their eyes peeled on the scoreboard, praying that they didn't have to go
up to Orono. If Maine had pulled that one out last night, I don't think NU
would have been so content with the tie.

Leigh