From:
Shari Durdin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shari Durdin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 12:01:10 -0600
Well, the Gophers certainly did get thumped this weekend. I'd been a bit nervous about
this series for a few weeks now, as the Gophers have had trouble at the UND arena before.
Last year, the Gophers were 6-0 at ranked #1 when they traveled to UND, only to struggle
for a tie in the first game, and lose by one in the 2nd game. The series at Minnesota
later in the season produced 2 ties. The Gophers got the win over UND that really mattered
when they met in the first round of the WCHA final 5.

My worst memory of the UND arena, however was back in 1983 when the NCAA final 4
was held up there. I played in the pep band and travelled up for the games, which the
Gophers were expected to do well in. Well... Harvard beat the Gophers in the semis, and
another east school (can't remember now) beat them in the 3rd place game. To make
matters worse, the cheeseheads won the whole thing, and during the 3rd place game some
Badger fans circled the arena with a huge sign that read, "Hail Mary, full of Grace, Minnesota
is in 4th place". Grrrr....

I do have exception to something written about Saturday night's game. When the Gophers
went up 5-4, and Blais pulled Kvelevog, I was hopeful that the Gophers would pepper the
"cold" goalie and get another tally. I don't think they had more than 2 shots on goal on Vickers
until the last 1.5 minute when DeBus was pulled. Even the TV comentators were mentioning
how few shots, and legitimate scoring chances the Gophers had after Kvelevog was pulled.
Hats off to the Sioux defenders on this one.

Onward to the CC series - a bit less meaningful, but should be good games nonetheless.
The biggest groan heard on Saturday night? That of the scalpers looking for big bucks to this
weekend's games!!

GO GO GOPHERS!
shari