From:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:10:55 -0500
        In regards to the comments that we should take a more serious
look at expension, I'm game and will offer up College Hockey's latest
expansion, the University of Massachusetts, as a model of exactly how it
should be done.
        First off, the most important thing to consider is what the
program is starting out with. Mankato will bring a solid DII program to
the next level, something done sucessfully by UMass-Lowell (U of Lowell),
LSSU (LSSC), and others. Starting at ground zero is infinately tougher.
        UMass made a comittment to the sport, saying, damn it we're going
to have a national power in hockey. Contrary to public opinion, the
palacial Mullins Center isn't the house that Calipari built, but had been
on the drawing board for years as a hockey facility. Calipari simply
hastened the final approval. The $51 million facility is a tremendous
factor in recruiting especially as no other school in the east has a
building quite like it, and although I haven't been to some of the places
out west, I'm sure it could possibly be the best place in the nation. It
has 8,389 seats for hockey and a pair of Olympic sized rinks, so the team
doesn't have to shuttle off to a town rink to practice (on a smaller
surface) whenever there's a basketball game or concert or something.
        UMass has a major national reputation working in its favor.
Certainly others are bigger (noone can match Notre Dame in that
department) but that basketball team draws some attention, and by show of
hands, how many out there plan to watch them play Temple on ESPN tomorrow
night? There were two reporters from a magazine in Norway at last night's
game for crying out loud. UMass does not, unfortunately have I-A football
working in its favor, competing instead at a .500 Yankee Conference (I-AA)
level, but all the talk around campus is of jumping up a level.
        Travel expenses are less in HE than any other school, and this
benefits the team. The Minutemen will not see an airplane this season,
and will have only minimal hotel stays. This in particular might benefit
a "smaller" school trying to start up in the conference (UML, MC). The
travel expense can really cripple a team starting up out west.
        Then, to extend the coach debate, UMass hired someone with
exactly the right attitude, Joe Mallen. The BC assistant from the
Ceglarski days has started to lay the foundation for a great program.
Well liked by his former players, both Sal Manganaro and Keith O'Connell
transferred from BC to UMass (and away from Cedorchuk) when the announcement
was made. Mallen also brough along former BC defenseman Mark Dennehy as
an assistant coach, who has done an exceptional job in his role.
        Mallen didn't even have a phone when he started, and made his
first recruiting call from Cal's office, but has since built a team from
scratch that will very soon be seriously competing for the HE crown. The
team has been inconsistant this year, but that will come with time and
experience. When the team is on they leave their mark and should soon be
able to put it over the top.
        One thing's for certain, goaltending will always be big at UMass
with Mallen and assistant Bob Derraney being former collegiate
goaltenders, there's no doubt that Brian Regan's one of the conference's
best and a certain NHL prospect. The Whalers, which drafted him out of
Westminster, have shown a good deal of interest in the sophomore.
Likewise Dave Kilduff and Rich Moriarty have helped to anchor a team that
has been known to struggle defensively, an area that takes more time to
develop than others. Assistant coach Scott MacPherson (UML alum) in
addition to knowing the league, knows goaltenders, having recruited
Martin Leagault while at Merrimack.
        Along that line, it helps having all four coached so well versed
with the league. Mallen coached at BC, where Dennehy played. Derraney is
a BU grad, with ECAC experince as an assistant at Dartmouth, and
MacPherson played at Lowell and coached at Merrimack.
        UMass has everything going for it. Great building, great coach,
great reputation, great conference, great fan support (averaging 4,000+
despite the losing record) and loyal boosters, who helped get the ball
rolling on the reinstatement of the program, which was axed in 1979.
Friends of UMass hockey is a loyal organization that will work to see the
program restored to former glories.
        These are some reasons why I think UNO would be in dire straights
from the get-go. First off, no on-campus building, and in a non-hockey
hot-bed fans will need a nice place to get them to the games (examples
include the Pond, Shark Tank and Thunderdome-Miami Arena's nothing
special, and coincidentally the Panthers might move). Secondly, hockey
requires boatloads of funding, which UNO I assume lacks. The guys down
the road at UNL though have plenty of funding and a tremendous academic
reputation. Another factor is wooing recruits into Omaha. Now, many come
through town when the play the Omaha Lancers in the CHL already, so if
they like it, that could help.
        A financial problem for UNO though could be travel expense. They
aren't near ANYONE. There isn't a single bus trip for them on the
schedule, just flights, which add up for a full season. They also lack a
natural geographic rival, which is always big both for players and fans.
        UNO doesn't have much of a national rep like the Lincoln campus
does. They just won two DI national titles (in major sports-women's
volleyball 12/16, football 1/2) in two and a half weeks for crying out loud.
Has your school done that recently? When the UNL administrators came out
here for the volleyball championships (held before 7,435 at Mullins) I
was incredibly impressed by a class oganization. Their SWA left a
definate impression on me that this is a big-time school, committed to
being such, while maintaining an excellent academic rep (Nebraska had
three Academic All-Americans in volleyball THIS year).
        If any school in the state's starting up a program it'd better be
this one.
        College hockey should encourage growth. That goes without saying.
Just be certain that the school has sufficient resources and
administrative backing before leaping into a tremendous venture. Unlike
adding a soccer or tennis team, hockey is a tremendous finacial
commitment and should not be taken lightly. I'm all for expension, just
be sure that they schools involved are ready for it.
        Mankato should be able to handle the jump, with a good local
recruiting area, natural rivals and reportedly a good conference to join.
Hopefully it will follow UML's lead and build upon the foundation already
in place. It's the smaller schools with no foundation that scare me. I
have confidence in Blaise MacDonald at Niagra, some others I'm not sure
about.

Leigh