From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:33:58 -0700
Since we all agree that there are lots of different facets to good
goaltending, no one of which is a definite indicator of top-notch,
average, below average, how about a system much like the NFL rates QBs?
I think college football does something similar now, altho the formula is
different .... a weighted average of various different categories:  save
pct, win pct are two that come to mind ... any of you math or theoretical
physics types out there care to generate something?  Don't look at me, I'm
an experimentalist!

Once this is done of course, then we can all argue over the relative
weightings, much like the RPI :-)

Tony Buffa
RPI '64
Univ of Illinois C-U '66 and '69

Physics Dept
Cal Poly SLO - - -  "No longer ranked #305 out of 305 in D-I basketball!"