From:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 00:56:33 GMT
Why I Like Being There

I think this is pretty simple.  At Madison, I was watching games live,
be it because I was there in person or because the television feed I was
watching was a live feed.  Now I'm in Troy, watching in the sanctuary
and security that is my home, and I not only miss the first period of the
Maine-Michigan semifinal at Providence for a tennis match (without
Steffi Graf), but they show us a tape delayed third OT, with the
winning goal.  My letter to ESPN goes out today.

Hell, my letter to the NCAA goes out today.

To be fair, it's difficult to complain about the tennis match.  It too was
exciting (in its own way, but I only like to watch Steffi), and I'm sure
those people watching that match would not want it interrupted for a
hockey game.  But, ESPN should have shown the same courtesy to
those viewers who watched the semifinal.  Don't switch to golf until
the game is over, or only switch for the intermission.  Come back once
the teams take the ice.

Really a bad call on the part of ESPN.

What's worse is pretending their coverage of the third period was live.
As a broadcaster and sports director for a radio station, I find it highly
unethical to deceive your audience in such a way.  Actually, this is in
violation of FCC regulations when it comes to radio.  I don't know
about TV or Cable TV, but I know we can't do it.

My letter to Rick Comley goes out today.

Phil Buttafuoco gets one too.

As you can see, it really steams me when people in power don't
exercise that power properly.

Kurt Stutt
WRPI Sports Director
"Where RPI hockey games are ALWAYS LIVE"